Itinerary for the day
Our experienced driver/guide will pick you up from your location in Addis early in the morning and you’ll set off on your drive to Ziway via Debre Zeyit (Bishoftu) and Kok, taking approx 3 hours. We stop off along the way for nice viewpoints and coffee.
Once we arrive at Lake Ziway, it’s possible to organize a scenic boat trip to visit some of the lake’s five islands with several ancient monasteries. The most famous is the ancient Church of Maryam Tsion which once housed the Ark of Covenant. From the boat and shores, you’ll see local fishermen with traditional wooden canoes deliver their fish to market, and after the boat trip, you’ll have the chance to sample the catch of the day served with injera and fresh vegetables at a local lakeside restaurant. In the late afternoon, we drive back to Debre Zeyit or Addis Ababa for an evening dinner and drop-off at your final destination.
Covid-19 safety measures during this trip
This trip is recommended by Yared Tour as a covid-19 safe travel experience in Ethiopia. This means that different aspects of the trip have been carefully considered in terms of physical distancing and hygiene standards. Ethiopia is a vast country and the rural areas in particular are sparsely populated.
During this trip you can expect:
- Face masks provided for travellers
- Careful selection of accommodation providers with high hygiene standards
- Driver/guide trained in health and safety, first aid and covid-19 protocols
- Vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing encouraged throughout the trip
- Hand sanitiser provided for travellers and driver/guides
- Temperature checks for travellers upon start of tour
Please read our Covid-19 Measures
page for all up-to-date information about covid-19 in Ethiopia.